Thanet is a district in Kent, England, that has a lot of attractions for travelers. It consists of four main towns: Margate, Broadstairs, Ramsgate and Birchington. They are all connected by a coastline that stretches for 26 miles.
The coastline offers sandy beaches, chalk cliffs, sea caves and wildlife. There are also many activities available, such as surfing, sailing, fishing, golfing and cycling.
The Art and Culture
Thanet has a strong artistic and creative vibe. The area has inspired many famous writers, artists and musicians, such as Charles Dickens, J.M.W. Turner and Tracey Emin. There are several places to see contemporary art and exhibitions, such as the Turner Contemporary gallery in Margate. There are also some unique attractions, such as the Shell Grotto, an underground chamber decorated with millions of shells, and the Dreamland amusement park, which features vintage rides, arcades and live entertainment.
The Heritage and History
Thanet has a rich heritage and history. The area has been inhabited since prehistoric times and has witnessed many important events in British history. There are many museums and monuments to learn more about the Viking invasions, the Napoleonic wars, the World War II bombings and the smuggling trade. There are also many examples of architecture and craftsmanship from different periods, such as churches, castles, manors and cottages.
10 Things to Do in Thanet
- Visit the Turner Contemporary gallery and see the latest exhibitions.
- Explore the Shell Grotto and marvel at the shell-covered walls.
- Enjoy the rides and games at the Dreamland amusement park.
- Learn about the Viking history at the Viking Ship Museum in Pegwell Bay.
- See the Ramsgate Tunnels and discover how they were used during World War II.
- Walk along the Botany Bay beach and admire the chalk stacks.
- Visit the Bleak House museum and see where Charles Dickens wrote David Copperfield.
- Play golf at one of the many courses in Thanet.
- Watch the sunset from the Margate Harbour Arm.
- Sample some local seafood at one of the many restaurants in Thanet.
We are so excited to share our thoughts and insights with you on this blog. We hope you enjoy reading our posts and find them useful and informative. We have a lot of great content planned for the future, so stay tuned for more updates. Thank you for your support and feedback. You are awesome!