Ramsgate Beach: A Guide for Visitors
Ramsgate Beach is a beautiful sandy beach located in Ramsgate, a seaside town in Kent, England. It is adjacent to the Royal Harbour and Marina, the only one of its kind in the UK. Ramsgate Beach is a perfect destination for families, couples, and anyone who loves the sea and the sun. Here are some useful information and tips for visiting Ramsgate Beach.
How to get there
Ramsgate Beach is easily accessible by car, train, bus, or bike. The postcode for Ramsgate Beach is CT11 8JD. You can also use this Google Maps link to get directions from your location.
If you are driving, you can park your car at one of the nearby car parks, such as the Harbour Parade Car Park or the Leopold Street Car Park. The parking fees vary depending on the season and the duration of your stay. You can check the Thanet District Council website for more details.
If you are taking the train, you can get off at Ramsgate Station, which is about a 15-minute walk from the beach. There are frequent trains from London Victoria, London St Pancras International, and other major stations in Kent and Sussex. You can check the National Rail website for timetables and fares.
If you are taking the bus, you can take one of the many routes that stop near Ramsgate Beach, such as the Loop, the 9, or the 38. You can check the Stagecoach website for routes and schedules.
If you are cycling, you can enjoy the scenic coastal path that runs along Ramsgate Beach and connects to other nearby beaches, such as Broadstairs and Margate. You can also rent a bike from one of the local bike shops, such as Bike Tart or The Bike Shed.
What to do
Ramsgate Beach offers a variety of activities and attractions for all ages and interests. You can:
- Swim or sunbathe on the clean and safe sandy beach, which has a Blue Flag award for its water quality and facilities.
- Enjoy the views of the harbour and the marina, where you can see boats of all shapes and sizes, from fishing vessels to yachts.
- Visit the Ramsgate Maritime Museum, which showcases the town’s rich maritime history and heritage.
- Explore the Ramsgate Tunnels, which are a network of underground passages that were used as air raid shelters during World War II.
- Take a boat trip to see the seals at Goodwin Sands, a sandbank that is home to a large colony of grey seals.
- Try some water sports, such as jet-skiing, sailing, or windsurfing.
- Have some fun at the amusement arcades, children’s rides, and mini golf courses along the promenade.
- Sample some delicious seafood at one of the many restaurants and cafes that offer al fresco dining with a view of the sea.
- Watch the sunset from one of the many pubs and bars that line the harbour.
Where to stay
Ramsgate Beach has a range of accommodation options to suit different budgets and preferences. You can choose from:
- Hotels, such as The Royal Harbour Hotel, The Falstaff Hotel, or The Comfort Inn.
- Bed and breakfasts, such as Spencer Court Hotel, The Oak Hotel, or The Little Tree Boutique B&B.
- Self-catering apartments or cottages, such as Royal Harbour View Apartment, Sea View Cottage, or Harbour Mews House.
When to go
Ramsgate Beach is open all year round, but the best time to visit is between May and September, when the weather is warmer and sunnier, and the beach is more lively and vibrant. However, you can also enjoy Ramsgate Beach in other seasons, as it has a mild climate and offers different attractions and events throughout the year. For example, you can:
- Celebrate the Ramsgate Festival of Sound in July, which features live music, art, and sound installations across the town.
- Experience the Ramsgate Illuminations in December, which light up the harbour and the marina with colourful displays and projections.
- Join the Ramsgate New Year’s Day Dip in January, which is a tradition where brave souls plunge into the chilly sea to raise money for charity.
Ramsgate Beach is a wonderful place to visit for anyone who loves the sea and the sun. It has something for everyone, from history and culture to fun and relaxation. Whether you are looking for a day trip or a longer stay, Ramsgate Beach will not disappoint you. So, what are you waiting for? Book your trip to Ramsgate Beach today and enjoy this gem of the Kent coast.