The shell lady (aka Mrs Booth) waits on the end of Margate Harbour Arm for JMW Turner to return, it could be a long wait.
Hands and Molecules
This statue combining a pair of hands and a string of molecules was commissioned by Sustran and funded by the pharmaceutical company Pfizer Ltd to celebrate the discovery, development and manufacture of innovative medicines in East Kent from their nearby site at Sandwich. The bronze casting of the statue was undertaken by Livingstone Art Founders and unveiled on its cliff top location in 2000.
Government Acre, Ramsgate, Kent CT11 – England, UK
Victorian Lift Ramsgate is something of a historic piece, its classic design gives you a feel of what the Victorians would have felt like being lowered to the beach level in the lift.
The lift is free to use, open in summer.
A light was first exhibited at North Foreland in 1499, but the first real lighthouse was built by Sir John Meldrum in 1636. The lighthouse consisted of a two storey octagonal tower made of timber, lath and plaster with an iron coal burning grate on top. This tower was destroyed by fire in 1683.A temporary measure of a single candle in a lantern hoisted on a pole proved, not surprisingly, ineffective and the present structure was built in 1691; originally the tower was 12 metres tall constructed of brick, stone and flint. In 1698 the lighthouse is recorded as using 100 tons of coal a year.
The folly was probably built by Lord Holland at the same time as The Captain Digby and Kingsgate Castle. It is built in the shape of a typical Henrican castle but much smaller scale.
Whiteness Road, Broadstairs CT10 3QH.
The Viking Ship Hugin is based on the cliff top at Pegwell Bay, Ramsgate.
It is a replica of a Viking ship which sailed from Denmark to Thanet in 1949 to celebrate the 1500th anniversary of the invasion of Britain, the traditional landing of Hengist and Horsa and the bethrothal of Hengist’s daughter, Rowena, to King Vortigen of Kent.
Sandwich Rd, Cliffsend, Ramsgate CT12 5HY